Sunday, April 8, 2007

Payback: Director's Cut DVD Review

Apparently, the version of Mel Gibson's Payback that came out way back in 1999 was not the originally planned version as intended by director Brian Helgeland. Helgeland walked away from the project and up to 30% of the movie was re-shot. The whole third act was changed, and a new main villain was added (Kris Kristofferson).

Now, on April 10th, 2007, the version everyone has been dying to see is on DVD: The Straight Up Director's Cut. Okay, to be perfectly honest, who was waiting to see this? The movie wasn't that good to begin with, and director's cuts of mediocre movies generally aren't that much better.

And since it's been eight years since I last saw Payback, I really don't remember what's changed. All I remember is that I wasn't overly crazy about the original, and I'm not overly crazy about this new director's cut. It's still sort of boring and not nearly as action-packed or as funny (in a dark way) I was hoping it to be.

You can read my full Payback director's cut movie review here.

No comments: